- Format: Hardcover
- ISBN: 978-0-7190-6702-0
- Pages: 208
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Price: £80.00
- Published Date: February 2007
- BIC Category: The arts / Film, TV & radio, Biography: Arts & Entertainment, PERFORMING ARTS / Film & Video / History & Criticism, BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Entertainment & Performing Arts, Film history, theory & criticism, Films, cinema, Radio, Television, Film and Media
- Series: The Television Series
This is the first full-length study of the screenwriter Troy Kennedy Martin, whose work for film and television includes Z Cars, The Italian Job, Kelly's Heroes, The Sweeney, Reilly - Ace of Spies and Edge of Darkness. With a career spanning six decades, Troy Kennedy Martin has seen the rise and fall of the television dramatist, making his debut in the era of studio-based television drama in the late 1950s prior to the transition to filmed drama (for which he argued in a famous manifesto), as the television play was gradually replaced by popular series and serials, for which Kennedy Martin did some of his best work.
Written in an easily accessible style, this book will appeal to anyone with an interest in television drama, screenwriting, and the history of British television over the last fifty years.
1, Biographical sketch
2. Single plays
3. Experiments in television drama
4. Drama series
5. Drama serials
6. The hostile waters of British television in a deregulated age
List of television programmes, feature films, unproduced scripts and screenplays, awards and publications
Lez Cooke is Research Associate in Television Drama at Manchester Metropolitan University and the author of 'British Television Drama: A History'