- Format: Hardcover
- ISBN: 978-0-7190-7857-6
- Pages: 312
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Price: £85.00
- Published Date: September 2018
- BIC Category: Early Modern Literature, HISTORY / Social History, LITERARY CRITICISM / European / General, Literature & literary studies / Literary studies: plays & playwrights, Literature & literary studies / Plays, playscripts, Literature & literary studies / Literary studies: c 1500 to c 1800, Humanities / Social & cultural history, Literature & literary studies / Literary companions, book reviews & guides, Literature & literary studies / Literature: history & criticism, Literature, Social & cultural history, Literary studies: general, England, Classic & pre-20th century plays, 16th century, c 1500 to c 1599, PERFORMING ARTS / Theater / History & Criticism, DRAMA / European / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, LITERARY CRITICISM / European / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh
- Series: Revels Plays Companion Library
This volume brings together three little-known works by key playwrights from the late sixteenth-century golden age of English drama. All three convey the public theatre's fascination with travel and adventure through the popular genre of heroic romance, while reflecting the contemporaries' wide range of responses to cross-cultural contacts with the Muslim East and the Mediterranean challenges posed by the Ottoman empire.
The volume presents the first modern-spelling editions of the three plays, with extensive annotations catering for specialised scholars while also making the texts accessible to students and theatre-goers. A detailed introduction discusses issues of authorship, dates and sources, and sets the plays in their historical and cultural contexts, offering exciting insights on Elizabethan performance strategies, printing practices, and the circulation of knowledge and stereotypes related to ethnic and religious difference.
'This excellent edition has given critics much material and reason to revisit these questions.'
Renaissance and Reformation / Renaissance et Réforme
ABBREVIATIONS AND REFERENCES
- Romance and conquest in early modern England
- The plays
- The texts
- The comical history of Alphonsus, King of Aragon by Robert Greene
- The tragedy of Soliman and Perseda by Thomas Kyd
- The Four Prentices of London by Thomas Heywood