- Format: Hardcover
- ISBN: 978-0-7190-8096-8
- Pages: 96
- Publisher: The Malone Society
- Price: £50.00
- Published Date: September 2009
- BIC Category: Literature, United States of America, USA, Plays, playscripts, Literature: history & criticism, LITERARY CRITICISM / American / General, Literature & literary studies / Plays, playscripts
- Series: The Malone Society
This edition of The Trial of Treasure will be a photographic facsimile of one of the five extant copies of this apparently anonymous play which was printed in 1567 by Thomas Purfoote. It will reproduce the copy at the Harry Ransome Library, Austin, Texas which has an anomaly in the printing not found in the other copies.
In considering typographical characteristics of the text the Introduction discusses the place of this play in Purfoote's extensive output. It also addresses the relationship with William Wager's Enough is as Good as a Feast with which it shares some seventy lines, and considers the possibility of common authorship. The text is rich in stage directions and aspects of performance are discussed including the doubling scheme for five players and the role of the Vice which is exemplified here.
2. The facsimile of The Trial of Treasure
Peter Happé is is a Retired Principal of Barton Peveril Sixth Form College and Visiting Fellow, School of Research and Graduate Studies, University of Southampton