- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 978-1-5261-0719-0
- Pages: 240
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Price: £29.99
- Published Date: August 2016
- BIC Category: Politics, Urban communities, Urban & municipal planning, Society & social sciences / Politics & government, United Kingdom, Great Britain, Urban Communities, Society & social sciences / Public administration, United Kingdom, Great Britain, Public administration, POLITICAL SCIENCE / General, POLITICAL SCIENCE / Public Affairs & Administration, POLITICAL SCIENCE / Public Policy / City Planning & Urban Development, Geography
East Manchester has been the site of one of the most substantial regeneration projects internationally. The initiative in east Manchester confirmed the tag that the city is the 'regeneration capital' of the United Kingdom.
While the book focuses on a single project, it has wider relevance to national and international regeneration initiatives. The book assesses the outcomes of the regeneration, although it demonstrates the difficulties in producing a definitive evaluation. It has a political focus and illuminates and challenges many assumptions underpinning three major current academic debates: governance, participatory democracy and ideology.
The book is relevant to students of politics, geography, sociology, public administration and recent history but will also interest practitioners, academics and general readers interested in urban regeneration. Mancunians will also be fascinated by the rapidly changing face and character of their city as will those with an interest in Manchester's football, the Commonwealth Games and Sportcity.
The book...takes a broadly optimistic view of the regeneration project
Foreword by Howard Bernstein, Chief Executive of Manchester City Council
1. The Past and Present of east Manchester
2. Partners in Regeneration
3 The 'New Town in the City': the narrative of east Manchester
4. What works in East Manchester? Evaluation in theory and in practice
5. The Ideology of Urban Regeneration Initiatives
6. Who Governs East Manchester?
7. Who participates in regeneration?